Thursday, January 24, 2008

An Introduction

I'm poor. With the way the economy is today, who isn't? But I'm not about to give up my wine and other little treats that help me forget that I work 40+ hours a week with little to show for it. I've found ways to indulge without going over budget, and so I've decided to share some tips and recommendations with whomever might feel like reading.

A bit of information about me: I don't follow the archaic rules for drinking wine. Just because I'm eating pasta with chicken does not mean that I'm going to stay away from red wine. I also only have one set of wine glasses... they are basically a white wine glass with a larger base that is perfect for reds. An excellent find on sale at Pier 1 if I do say so myself. I'm also not ashamed to drink wine out of a plastic cup once in a while, especially if I forgot to pick up dish detergent on my way home.

As far as food goes, I definately still have a lot to learn. My default on any dish that doesn't quite hit the right notes for me automatically gets red pepper flakes and lots of garlic. Not that I want all of my dishes to taste the same, I'm just still learning the proper balance for other herbs and spices.

I don't believe in spending more than $10 on a bottle of wine just for myself or for "afterhours." I think I'm the queen of baked alfredo. And I think that fine dining doesn't only come out of a restaurant at $20 a plate.

I don't know how much interest everyone else will have in what I have to say or how long I'll be able to keep my own interest, but at least this will be a fun project for the time being.

Until next time!

No comments: